PHOENIX – Rose Hayden Fulton bred and raised championship registered quarter horses from the Double F Ranch in Cochise County’s Texas Canyon for more than 35 years. The ranch, located in Dragoon, Arizona, was famous throughout the southwest for its breeding program until 1968.
Today, the ranch houses a private, nonprofit archaeological research institution established by Rose’s husband William in 1937. The Amerind Foundation’s mission is to foster and promote knowledge and understanding of the Native peoples of the Americas. While Rose continued to raise her horses, William and the foundation continued to support archaeological research throughout the southwest and northern Mexico. Today, the Amerind Foundation and its museum of ethnographic and archaeological materials reside in the buildings of the Double F Ranch.
The collection includes photos of the ranch, Rose, her family, friends, ranch staff and championship horses. The Cochise County’s Double F Ranch collection will be available indefinitely for viewing on any digital device at https://azmemory.azlibrary.gov/digital/collection/franch.
For questions about this or any digital collection, or for cultural institutions interested in sharing collections on the Arizona Memory Project, contact [email protected].
The Arizona Memory Project provides free online access to the wealth of primary sources in Arizona archives, museums, libraries, and other cultural institutions. The Arizona Memory Project is supported by the Arizona State Library, Archives & Public Records, a division of the Secretary of State, with federal funds from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.