PHOENIX – The Flagstaff Pulliam Airport is an integral part of the city’s history, but its final destination was up in the air during the early and mid-part of the twentieth century. The airport was located in two different areas before city government officials, legal authorities and construction contractors selected the current and final site. The newest collection on the Arizona Memory Project captures the process of the Flagstaff Airport’s development, including blueprints and diagrams of the airport buildings, motel and runways.
For 18 months, material from this collection was digitized and organized into folders to be representative of the development of the Flagstaff Airport from the 1920s through the early 1960s. Researchers and air travel enthusiasts can also view the collection in person upon request at the Reference Desk at the Flagstaff Public Library.
In addition to blueprints and diagrams, collection viewers will find pamphlets and correspondence among prominent Flagstaff city staff, including Clarence T. “Maggie” Pulliam, the namesake of the current airport built in 1948. This and other collections from the Flagstaff City-Coconino County Public Library will be available indefinitely for viewing on any digital device at https://azmemory.azlibrary.gov/digital/custom/fcccpl.
For questions about this or any digital collection, or for cultural institutions interested in sharing collections on the Arizona Memory Project, contact [email protected].
The Arizona Memory Project provides free online access to the wealth of primary sources in Arizona archives, museums, libraries, and other cultural institutions. The Arizona Memory Project is supported by the Arizona State Library, Archives & Public Records, a division of the Secretary of State, with federal funds from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.