2018 Ballot Measure Argument submission Portal
Arguments for or against proposed ballot measures for the 2018 General Election may be submitted through our new Ballot Measure Argument Submission Portal available at: https://ballotarguments.az.gov/. Ballot measure arguments must be submitted, and online payment must be received by the Secretary of State's Office, by 11:59 P.M. (MST) on July 11, 2018.
Because proposition numbers have not been assigned, you may use the format “Proposition XXX,” “Proposition ____,” “Prop XXX,” or “Prop ____” to refer to the initiative or referendum you are submitting a ballot argument “for” or "against.” The Secretary of State’s Office will replace the “XXX” or blank with the assigned proposition number, if the measure qualifies for the ballot.
Please note: Ballot measure arguments will be printed in the publicity pamphlet in the order in which they are paid for and received by the Secretary of State's Office.
Current Applications for the 2018 General Election
Ballot measure petitions must be filed with the Secretary of State's Office by 5:00 p.m. (MST) on July 5, 2018.
Preparing an Initiative, Referendum or Recall
- Form a political committee through the Secretary of State's online system, or be prepared to designate an existing (non-candidate) political committee to act as the petition sponsor.
- File an Application for Serial Number with the Secretary of State’s Office.
- Acquire the appropriate initiative, referendum, or recall petition in-person from the Secretary of State's Office.
- Ensure any paid or out-of-state circulators have registered with the Secretary of State's Office.
- Circulate petitions and obtain signatures from eligible voters.
- Submit circulated petitions to the Secretary of State’s Office by the statutory deadline.
- The Secretary of State and various County Recorders will process the petitions and determine whether enough signatures were gathered to place the measure on the ballot.