Initiative, Referendum, and Recall Applications for the 2020 Election cycle
Click here for a list of the initiative, referendum, and recall applications that have been submitted for the 2020 election cycle.
Signature Requirements for the 2020 election cycle
*Please note: Initiatives for the 2020 election cycle filed prior to the 2018 General Election canvass may reflect 2018 minimum signature requirements on the original Application for Serial Number.
Preparing an Initiative, Referendum or Recall
- Form a political committee through the Secretary of State's online system, or be prepared to designate an existing (non-candidate) political committee to act as the petition sponsor.
- File an Application for Serial Number with the Secretary of State’s Office.
- Acquire the appropriate initiative, referendum, or recall petition in-person from the Secretary of State's Office.
- Ensure any paid or out-of-state circulators have registered with the Secretary of State's Office.
- Circulate petitions and obtain signatures from eligible voters.
- Submit circulated petitions to the Secretary of State’s Office by the statutory deadline.
- The Secretary of State and various County Recorders will process the petitions and determine whether enough signatures were gathered to place the measure on the ballot.