Apostille and Document Authentication
On April 5, 2022, Business Services will be open to the public for Apostille requests BY APPOINTMENT ONLY on an expedited basis. An expedite fee of $25.00 dollars will be assessed per visit with a limit of 6 documents to be Apostilled. Additionally, a $5.00 fee will be assessed for each notarization provided. Appointments will only be available from Tuesday - Thursday from 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. (Closed for lunch 12:00-1:00). Please make sure to print a copy of your appointment confirmation. Proof of appointment will be required when checking in with security.
Book an Appointment
All requests by mail must be accompanied by return postage. All return labels (Fedex, UPS, DHL, etc.) must include customer's mailing address as both sender and recipient.
If you are travelling overseas, or sending documents for use in a foreign country, you may be required to have the documents certified by our office. Depending on the country requesting the certificate, that certification may be called an "Apostille" or a certificate of "Authentication".
An "apostille" or a certificate of "authentication" is issued to certify an Arizona notary public, court clerk, or state document custodian to a foreign country. These certifications have been adopted internationally by the Hague Convention (PDF) as a uniform way of verifying documents sent between countries.
Documents to File: Apostille/Certificate of Authentication Request (PDF) & original notarized or certified recorded document
Filing Fee: $3 per document. Checks and money orders can be made out to, "Arizona Secretary of State." Please do not send cash by mail.
Processing Time: 10 Business Days (by mail); in-person requests are by appointment only with an expedite fee of $25.00 dollars with a limit of 6 documents to be apostilled. Additionally, a $5.00 fee will be assessed for each notarization provided.
- Submit these four items:
- We must receive an original notarized or certified recorded document. A photocopy is unacceptable.
- Apostille/Certificate of Authentication Request form (PDF)
- $3 fee per document
- For all mailed requests, return postage is required. We recommend a service that can be tracked to ensure its return to you.
- Any requests going to Puerto Rico or any U.S. territory need a "notarial capacity certificate" and the requestor will pay an $18 fee.
- Don't send documents recorded by another state. The state that produced the document needs to certify it (I.E. a birth certificate from Nevada needs to be certified by the Nevada Secretary of State's office). Documents returned by other states will be returned to you.
- We do not issue electronic apostilles.
- If you have any questions, please call us at 602-542-6187 or 1-800-458-5842 or email us.
Filing By Mail
Secretary of State
Attn: Apostille Dept.
1700 W. Washington Street, Fl. 7
Phoenix, AZ 85007-2808
In-Person Filing - Phoenix Office
State Capitol Executive Tower
1700 W. Washington Street
In-Person Filing - Tucson Office
Arizona State Complex Building
400 West Congress
First Floor, Suite 141
This office is a filing agency, and we cannot provide legal advice or interpret statutes. Please refer to Arizona Revised Statutes or consult an attorney if you have questions regarding laws that apply to your specific filing.
Office of the Secretary of State
Business Services Division
1700 W Washington St Fl 7
Phoenix AZ 85007-2808