Initiative, Referendum, and Recall Applications for the 2022 Election Cycle
The Secretary of State's Office is currently operating on an appointment-only basis. To schedule an appointment to file an Application for a Serial Number, please contact our office at [email protected].
A list of the initiative, referendum, and recall applications that have been submitted for the 2022 election cycle is accessible at the link below.
Important Dates and Signature Requirements for the 2022 Election Cycle
|Ballot Measure Argument Portal Open for Submissions
||June 6 - July 6, 2022
|Initiative Filings Due Date
||July 7, 2022
|General Election Date
||November 8, 2022
Preparing an Initiative, Referendum or Recall
- Form a political committee through the Secretary of State's online system, or be prepared to designate an existing (non-candidate) political committee to act as the petition sponsor.
- File an Application for Serial Number with the Secretary of State's Office.
- Acquire the appropriate initiative, referendum, or recall petition in-person from the Secretary of State's Office.
- Ensure any paid or out-of-state circulators have registered with the Secretary of State's Office.
- Circulate petitions and obtain signatures from eligible voters.
- Submit circulated petitions to the Secretary of State's Office by the statutory deadline.
- The Secretary of State and various County Recorders will process the petitions and determine whether enough signatures were gathered to place the measure on the ballot.