The Administrative Register (Register) is a legal publication published by the Administrative Rules Division that contains information about rulemaking activity in the state of Arizona. The Register is published by a numbered volume in a calendar year. Weekly issues are published each Friday with each issue making up the volume. The electronic version as authenticated by the office online is the official version.
The Register contains state agencies, boards and commissions:
- Notifications of an agency's intent to draft rules (docket opening); Proposed draft rules; Public notices about proposed rules, these include oral proceedings or public hearings; and Final Rules.
- The Register "tracks" rulemaking activity of proposed, final, emergency, summary, and exempt rules.
The Register is also the source of notification to:
- G.R.R.C. agendas;
- Rule expirations;
- Agency oral proceedings;
- Policy statement notices;
- Guidance document notices;
- Public information notices;
- Ombudsman notices;
- Delegation agreement notices;
- Advisory committee notices;
- Objection to a proposed expedited rulemaking, and petitions; and
- Intent to increase museum fees.
- A.R.S. § 41-1013(B)(9) through (15).
The Register has a cumulative index, which means users can track a rule from the beginning to the end of the rulemaking process.
Give input on:
- License and Permit Fees
- Operation, Health and Environmental Standards
- Certification and Licensing Requirements
How do I find a Proposed Rule?Click on the current year and volume link. Scroll to the Table of Contents. Click on the most current issue's Table of Contents. Scroll to the "Indexes" at the end of the issue's Table of Contents. Click on "Indexes," a pdf will open. Agencies are listed in alphabetical order. Simply search the pdf by using Ctrl-F. The find box will open and type in an agency name. Under each agency heading is a list of section numbers and Register issue page numbers for reference.The online logbook also contains notice filings and Register dates by agency with links directly to the issues.
How do I make a comment?
Once you have found the issue, open the Administrative Register Table of Contents. Open a published notice of:
- Proposed Rulemaking, or
- Proposed Exempt Rulemaking
The agency contact information is located in the preamble at the beginning of the rule. See A.R.S. § 41-1022 .
- Comment in writing to the agency's address and rulewriter ombudsman listed in the preamble.
- An oral proceeding may already be scheduled and published in the preamble. Attend the meeting and comment in person under A.R.S. § 41-1022 .
- If no oral proceeding is scheduled and you would like to speak in person, request a proceeding in writing under A.R.S. § 41-1023 .
An agency may also inform stakeholders of public meetings in a Notice of Oral Proceeding after a proposed rulemaking notice has been published. These notices are published in the Register. Attend the meeting and verbally make comments on the proposed rulemaking.
The public and stakeholders may reproduce, without restrictions, notices published in the Register.
There is a commercial use fee to use the Register. Commercial use fees apply to those who intend to use the Register for resale or profit. For more information see our order form.
As of August 9, 2017, the electronic version of the Register, authenticated by the Division, is the official version under Arizona law. Prior to that date the paper version of the Register, as printed by the Division, was considered the official version. A.R.S. § 41-1013(D).
- Does the office offer paper subscriptions? What is the commercial use fee to use the Register?
The office no longer offers subscriptions to the Register as of September 2017. There is a fee for commercial use of the Register. Fill out the order form and contact the Division for more information.
Office of the Secretary of State
Administrative Rules Division
1700 W Washington St Fl 7
Phoenix AZ 85007-2808