This office is a filing agency, and we cannot provide legal advice or interpret statutes. Please refer to Arizona Revised Statutes or consult an attorney if you have questions regarding laws that apply to your specific filing.

Veterans Charities Organizations

The Secretary of State requires only Veteran’s Charitable Organizations to file with our office. Per Arizona Revised Statute § 13-3722(A), a Veteran’s Organization must file if a person is soliciting money or other support in the name of an organization.

The Secretary of State once required all charities to file because our agency was mandated to provide financial tax records for public inspection. However, on September 13, 2013, House Bill 2457 went into effect repealing this office’s filing requirement. If you have a charity that does not solicit funds in the name of, or for, veteran’s organizations, you do not need to register or renew your charitable organization on file and no other state agencies have assumed this filing.

Only veteran’s charity organizations will be recorded and all other previously filed charities and contracted fundraisers will remain a public record for five years from their filing date.

What to File

Document to File: American Veteran's Organization Registration Statement (PDF)

Filing Fee: None

Filing Length: Valid until amended or cancelled

Processing Time: 2-3 weeks

Filing Tips

  • The registration statement must be accompanied by a tax document from a previous year. Only an IRS 990-EZ, the first two pages of a 990, or an IRS determination letter are acceptable.
  • Our office cannot determine whether an organization is legitimate, nor can our office take action or look into a questionable organization. You would need to contact the Attorney General’s office, submit its Consumer Complaint Form, and have that agency investigate on your behalf or seek private legal counsel.
  • Our search website does not provide scanned images of what has been previously processed. To get paper copies of what has been accepted from a charity or contracted fundraiser, submit a Public Record Request Form. Our office will contact you back with a price (10 cent per page filing fee, and for certified results please include an additional $3) and you will need to mail in a check with the balance so we can process your request.
  • If you have any questions, please call us at 602-542-6187 or 1-800-458-5842 or email us.

Where to File

Filing By Mail

Secretary of State
Attn: Veterans Charities Dept.
400 W. Congress, Ste. 221
Tucson, AZ 85701

In-Person Filing - Phoenix Office

State Capitol Executive Tower
1700 W. Washington Street
First Floor, Suite 103

In-Person Filing - Tucson Office

Arizona State Complex Building
400 West Congress
Second Floor, Suite 221

Contact Business Services

Office of the Secretary of State
Business Services Division
1700 W Washington St, Fl 2
Phoenix AZ 85007-2808