A campaign advertisement or fundraising solicitation must include (i) the words “paid for by” followed by the name of the person making the expenditure for the advertisement or fund-raising solicitation, and (ii) indicate whether the expenditure was authorized by a candidate, followed by the identity of the authorizing candidate, if any. (A.R.S. § 16-925)
If a disclaimer contains an acronym or nickname that is not commonly known, the disclosure must also spell out the acronym or provide the full name.
A PAC that makes an expenditure for an advertisement is required to include in the disclaimer the names of the 3 PACs making the largest aggregate contributions to the PAC making the expenditure and that exceed $20,000 during the election cycle, calculated at the time the advertisement was distributed for publication, display, delivery or broadcast.
A disclaimer in the following manner is required if the advertisement is
- Broadcast on radio: must be clearly spoken at beginning or end;
- Delivered by hand or mail or electronically: must be clearly readable;
- Placed on a sign or billboard: displayed in a height of at least 4% of vertical height; or
- Broadcast on TV, video or film: (i) both written and spoken at beginning or end, except that spoken disclaimer is not required if written display is for greater of at least one-sixth of broadcast duration or 4 seconds, and (ii) written disclosure letters are required to be in a height of at least 4% of vertical picture height.
A disclaimer is not required if the advertisement is
- Placed in social media messages/text messages;
- Placed as a paid link on a website, if not more than 200 characters and the link directs the user to another website that complies with disclaimer requirements;
- Placed as a graphic or picture link, if the disclaimer cannot conveniently be printed due to the size of graphic or picture and the link directs the user to another website that complies with disclaimer requirements; or
- Placed on bumper stickers, pins, buttons, pens, and similar small items.