Qualifications for Registration
To register to vote in Arizona you must meet the following qualifications (A.R.S. § 16-101):
- Be a citizen of the United States of America
- Be a resident of Arizona and the county listed on your registration
- Be 18 years of age on or before the day of the next regular General Election
You cannot register to vote in Arizona if (A.R.S. § 16-101):
- You have been convicted of a felony and have not yet had your civil rights restored. For a first-time felony conviction, civil rights are automatically restored upon completion of a person's sentence and payment of any restitution.
- You have been adjudicated incapacitated by a court of law.
Arizona Proof of Citizenship Requirement
A person who submits valid proof of citizenship with their voter registration form (and is otherwise an eligible registrant) is entitled to vote in all federal, state, and local elections in which they are eligible. A.R.S. § 16-101.
A registrant who attests to being a citizen but fails to provide proof of citizenship and whose citizenship is not otherwise verified will be eligible to vote only in federal elections (known as being a "federal only" voter). In April 2022, the legislature passed a law requiring proof of citizenship to be eligible to vote in presidential elections (2492); however, this law has not yet gone into effect.
A "federal only" voter will become eligible to vote a "full ballot" in all federal, state, and local elections if they later provide valid proof of citizenship to the appropriate County Recorder's office.
Accepted Proof of Citizenship
Arizona Driver's License/Identification Number: If you have a valid Arizona driver's license or nonoperating identification card issued after October 1, 1996, you should provide the license/identification number in Box 9 on the Arizona Voter Registration Form or register online at www.servicearizona.com. A.R.S. § 16-166.
If you do not have an Arizona license you may need to provide one of the following documents to establish proof of citizenship: A.R.S. § 16-166.
- Your Indian Census Number, Bureau of Indian Affairs Card Number, Tribal Treaty Card Number, or fill in your Tribal Enrollment Number in Box 10 on the voter registration form.
- A photocopy of your U.S. naturalization documents or fill in your Alien Registration Number in Box 11 on the voter registration form.
- A legible photocopy of your birth certificate and supporting legal documentation (i.e., marriage certificate) if the name on the birth certificate is not the same as your current legal name.
- A legible photocopy of the pertinent pages of your U.S. passport.
- A legible photocopy of your Tribal Certificate of Indian Blood or Bureau of Indian Affairs Affidavit of Birth.